You can use our services in a variety of different ways, such as by logging into Smartmi's official website to buy Smartmi devices, and by using Smartmi software and services in different terminals. If you share with us the information (for example, by creating a Smartmi account), we can provide you with a wider range of services, such as product updates, more accurate advertising, content sharing, and community services. According to this, we will explain to you how we collect and use information, and how you can protect your privacy.
Our privacy policies include the following issues:
- The information we collect.
- How we collect and use information.
- How you provide this information selectively, and how to access and update information.
The information we collect
We collect two types of information: personal information (personal information is the only information which can be used to identify or contact someone) and non-personal information (i.e. the information which is not directly associated with any particular person). If we combine the personal information and non-personal information, this information will be treated as personal information.
How we collect and use information
Collection and use of personal information
When you interact with Smartmi Communication Technology Co., Ltd. ("Smartmi" or "we") and its associated companies, you may be asked to provide basic personal information to use our basic product services. The personal information may be combined with other information in order to improve our products and services.Below is the type of personal information Smartmi may collect and some examples of how we use the information.
Collection of personal information
- When you create a Smartmi Account, download and update Smartmi software, register at a Smartmi website, and participate in online surveys or in other interactions with Smartmi, we will ask you to provide personal information, including but not limited to your name, phone number, email address, postal address, etc.
- When you buy Smartmi products and services, we will collect personal information, including but not limited to: delivery details, bank accounts, credit card details, billing addresses, credit checks, other financial information, as well as the records of contact and communication, etc.
- When you use a Smartmi product to share your content with family and friends, send messages or products, invite others onto the Smartmi BBS, Smartmi will collect personal information which is relevant to the above-mentioned people, such as name, mailing address, E-mail address and telephone number.
- When you first use and activate your Smartmi device, your mobile device identification information, your device’s IMEI, and the approximate geographic location of your device will be sent to Smartmi. The above information collection could also apply when updating and restoring the factory settings.
Use of personal information
- The personal information we collect will be used to provide you with Smartmi's products and services, processing your order or performing a contract between you and Smartmi to ensure the function and security of our products and services, verify your identity, prevent and investigate fraud or other improper use.
- The personal information we collect will be used for the development of our products and services. However in general, we only use comprehensive and statistical information for this purpose.
- The personal information we collect will be used to communicate with you, for example, about updates of products or services. We will inform you immediately after the news is released.
- The personal information we collected will be used for the customized design of the products and for providing you with a more customized service. For example: recommend and display content and advertisements designed only for you or for research.
- If you participate in Smartmi's lucky draw, competitions or similar promotional activities, the personal information you provide will be used to manage this kind of activity.
- Regarding your mobile device identification information, only the identification number of your mobile device can be used to activate your warranty services and specific software license, and we may invite you to participate in the survey. We may also use this information to improve our products and analyze the efficiency of our business operations. Nevertheless, we will not use this information to track your location.
Collection and use of non personal information
Meanwhile, in order to operate and improve Smartmi's technology and services, Smartmi will collect your personal information automatically. This will help Smartmi provide you with a better user experience and improve service quality.
Collection of non-personal information
When you create a Smartmi account, download and update Smartmi software, register at a Smartmi website and participate in an online survey or in other interactions with Smartmi, we will collect your information such as language, ZIP code, area code, and the time zone where you use Smartmi products.
Regarding information relating to the user habits and problems found when using the Smartmi app, we will, if required, collect anonymous statistics of how you use the Internet to provide you with a better online experience. In addition, when the Smartmi system is in an abnormal state or crashes, we may collect some information such as the device ID, the Internet protocol address and route data packets in order to determine the root of the problem.
Log information - when you access Smartmi, our server will automatically record some log information. This kind of server log information may include the following details: IP address, browser types, browser languages, referral source page, operating system, date/time mark and clickstream data.
Use of non-personal information
The non-personal information we collect such as professions, languages, ZIP codes, area codes and the time zone where you use your Smartmi product can help us better understand user behaviors so as to improve our products, services, and advertising campaigns.
We can use statistics obtained from the "User Experience Program" to continuously improve the operating experience, running performance, repair problems and function design improvement.
The information we collected from cookies and other technologies (such as pixel tags) can bring you a better user experience, and improve our overall service quality. For example, by saving your language preferences, we can show our services in your preferred language. We can use pixel marks to send emails in readable format to users, and we will be informed whether the email is open. We can use such information for reducing the emails sent to users or stop sending emails.
How do users provide information selectively?
Everyone has a different focus on privacy. Based on this, we will clearly indicate the way we collect information for you to choose the way you provide information.
You are free to decide whether to join the "User Experience Program", i.e. you can exit the plan by switching off the "User Experience Program" option.
You can modify the location of your device, for example: change or disable the positioning method or positioning server, modify the accuracy of the location information to change the location information provided to Smartmi.
You can modify your browser settings to reject or accept the cookies according to your own needs. You can also delete it from your storage devices at any time, or make it notify you when you write the cookies.
Access and update of personal information
By clicking [https://account.xiaomi.com] to sign in to your account, you will be able to access and update your personal information. You can also delete part of your personal information or ask us to remove your personal account, unless we have to keep the information for legal reasons.
Whenever you use our service, we strive to give you access to your personal information. If the information is incorrect, we will try to make you update or delete the information quickly via various means (unless we have to keep this information for legitimate business or legal reasons). When you update your personal information, we may ask you to verify your identity first, and then process your request.
We may decline requests which have endless repetition, require too much technology input, risk the privacy of others, or are very unrealistic.
As long as we can allow you to access and modify the information, and it does not need too much input, we will provide the service free of charge. We strive to protect our service from accidental or malicious damage. Therefore, when you delete the information from our service, we may not immediately delete the residual copies of the information from the server in use. Therefore the corresponding information stored on the backup system may not be deleted immediately.
Share information with third parties
With your authorization, we will share your personal information with third parties without your approval in the following situations:
We will share personal information with third parties because of legal investigation, litigation, compulsory execution or other legal compulsory provisions or requirements.
We will provide personal information to our subsidiaries, affiliates, or other trustworthy enterprises or individuals to help us process the personal information on our behalf. We require the above parties to agree to process the personal information according to our terms, privacy policies and any other applicable confidentiality and safety measures.
We may share the summarized non-personal information reasonably with the public and our partners for business purposes or for protecting the users, for example, when showing overall trends relating to our products and services.
We strive to protect Smartmi users from their information being unlawfully accessed, manipulated, disclosed or destroyed. To do this, the following special measures are in place:
- We encrypt many services by using SSL.
- We will review information collection, storage and processing (including physical security measures) in order to protect various systems from unauthorized access.
- We only allow Smartmi staff and authorized personnel to work on behalf of service companies to access personal information, and they must strictly respect the confidentiality terms of the contract. If they fail to perform these obligations, they may be investigated for legal responsibility according to the law, or their working relationship with Smartmi may be terminated.
- For us, the safety of your information is very important. Therefore, we will continue to make every effort to ensure the security of your personal information, and we will use storage and comprehensive transmission encryption methods to protect your information from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. Specific encrypted data can only be accessed by the users themselves.
Collection and use of personal information of children
We recommend that children under 13 use Smartmi products or services with the permission and guidance of their guardians.
Smartmi will not collect children's personal information when it is aware that they are children and will not disclose personal information to any third parties. Guardians have the right to refuse Smartmi and its affiliates to further collect personal information of minors or ask Smartmi and its affiliates to delete the personal information of minors. If we find we have collected personal information of children under 13, we will delete this information as soon as possible.